Sunday, August 15, 2010

A 5am ramble

It has not even been a full month since my homecoming.
Yet, all I feel now is that, I have never left Singapore.
The oddity.

2 more weeks till school resumes.
It feels brand new, I feel brand new. That's what I have been telling everyone.
I am excited to go back to school, I like going to school.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not your neighbourhood nerd, I just like going to school, minus the books.
The modules that I will be taking actually seems interesting, but let's not hope to disappoint.

So, Mexico.
The only thing I have on my mind to talk about is a person: Uggo.
I met him on the very first day I went solo in Mexico, La Paz.
I went searching for this particular tour office, and voila! He was the one on shift.
I blabbered and rambled due to my extreme anxiety of being a lone tourist.
He entertained and humoured.
And we hung out along with his wifey MonC and queer friends the day I attended the tour with them, which was 3 -5 days later.
So, that's how the acquaintenceship began.
And it's funny, I know I'm not hitting the point straight. It's just so different how we lead our lives. Yes I know, the world is vast, forgive my naive statement.

So Uggo and MonC, well I assume they have been dating since forever.
They live together with Uggo's parents, but apart, meaning they kind of get their privacy.
That night, I believe, was the first time I visited a Mexican house. Well, Uggo isn't exactly well off. Their place was sparse, with unfinished concrete. But the lovely couple lived so self-sufficiently together. I visited their bathroom, I wasn't shocked, but it was just so unexpected. Uggo is 24 and MonC's 25. They live their lives like teenagers in love, carefree & wild. They are unofficially 'married'. They live like husband and wife, refers to each other's families as in-laws and such.
& I am 21. We are worlds apart.

Just last night, Uggo IM-ed me that MonC's pregnant. His facebook and MSN were filled with sheer excitement of becoming a father. Words from the horse's mouth was "I feel weird but I am excited". Initially, I was at a complete loss. Was it supposed to be good or bad news? But judging from his excitement, I guess it's good. So I went and said, along with so many others "Felicidadessss!" They are having a baby, but they aren't getting married.

Point is, if a friend of mine in Singapore got pregnant, I believe the first thing we think about is...SHITTTT! pardon me, but I couldn't find a better word. and not CONGRATULATIONS! The irony, and the idea of not getting married when you're going to have a baby! An unexpected baby when you're 24?! that's a pretty hard hit to stomach, but they seem to be welcoming the little one with wide open arms.

Worlds Apart.

Okay, I know, I didn't hit an exact point. It's just HOW DIFFERENT perceptions are and I just had to tell a story at 5am.

No comments: